Tuesday 21 June 2011

Confessions of a caff-fiend


WHATEVER performance impairment I accrue through under-training (this past week has been somewhat lacklustre), I’m hoping to make up through rocket-fuel on the big day itself.
Expresso, cappucino, mocha, mochacino, frappucino – I’ll try them all if available.
In fact, I’ve spent a good few weeks mulling over what food and drink will work for the long-sustained plod and what will switch on the after-burners going up Yewbarrow. So I’m grateful for this illustration by David McCandless of comparative caffeine v calories (it can also be found on Flickr)
The aim will be for me to be somewhere up in the top right quadrant (which is bad news for the Leg 3 supporters who will have to carry the whipped cream).




Over the past few months I’ve taken many soundings from other members of the club on what to eat before and during the run. I’ve had recommendations of salmon (before the run obviously – don’t want to appear too posh), Jaffa cakes, tinned peaches, jelly babies, fig rolls, porridge, muffin bars, rice pudding, and apple crumble with custard, to mention just a few. I’ve also read about oatcakes sandwiched together with honey for that slow-quick-slow release of energy (for the fell foxtrot).
I certainly had time to think about all this on the club’s 10-mile run across Morecambe Bay last Wednesday – a great evening out in good company (obligatory tractor and quad bike on hand in case of quicksand) – with the sand making a change from grass and rock. And I expect to be out this weekend on one or two legs of the route.





So will this self-confessed caffeine addict be taking a cup of coffee along with him? Don’t be ridiculous. Don’t need to now I’ve discovered Pocket Coffee – a chocolate/espresso combination that I’ve only comes across in Italy (I tend to bulk buy).
So let’s get acquainted with the little chap. He’s about the size of your thumb and comes dressed in a natty red and brown outer coat and a gold inner jacket. Biting into his dark chocolate shell – and I’m doing this as I write - releases a liquid caffeine hit about third of the strength of a normal espresso, followed by a……mmm….an energy-enhancing melting chocolate taste.
You’ll have to excuse me but suddenly I’ve got an urge to run up a mountain…..

No comments:

Post a Comment