Sunday 27 March 2011

The Pyjama Game

You could say that the lost hour because of the clocks going forward played a significant part in today’s proceedings.
It’s for that reason that I’ve selected the heading for this posting. The ‘pyjama’ bit comes from getting home at about 1.30am after an enjoyable evening at a friend’s house in Cheshire and then having to get up at 6am the following morning (ie 5am in old time) to go running. The alternative was to stay in my pyjamas - though pyjamas are no guarantee of a relaxed lifestyle. Bob Graham famously wore a pyjama jacket on his successful attempt (suggestions that he wore it only for the night-time leg are apparently false).
The ‘game’ bit comes from trying to catch Dallam runners across a fair chunk of Leg 3. So, here’s what happened.
New Dungeon Ghyll, 8am. There’s Martin, Rob, Tom, Ray D. There’s at least another runner coming to join us. I never get to meet them. The plan is to climb the Langdale Pikes and then follow Leg 3 to Scafell, then re-trace the route to Rossett Pike and then down Mickleden and back to the car.
Martin and Tom race off to Old Dungeon Ghyll to see if the missing runner is there. Rob, Ray and I climb the path to Stickle Tarn. At the tarn, Rob and Ray plan to climb up Harrison Stickle. There’s no sign of Martin and Tom lower down the path.
With time in hand, wouldn’t it be a good idea if I ran around to Sergeant Man and then tried to catch them on the following summits? Was it a good idea? No.
Up to Sergeant Man and then onto High Raise (it would be rude not to), put me onto the BG route. Down to Harrison Stickle, where the cloud began to clear and then to Pike of Stickle.
Sunlight on Pike of Stickle
Over Martcrag Moor where I asked a walker if he’d seen a group of runners - ‘about 20 mins ahead of you,’ he said.
Ok, knuckle down, but I veer too far to the left on the climb to Rossett Pike, putting me into some rough ground. To make up time, I opt to miss Bowfell, instead climbing around the back of Angle Tarn up to Ore Gap. Over Esk Pike (in low cloud) and then climb to Great End. The cloud has now lifted so shouldn’t be any problems finding the others on their way back -  they’d have to pass me along the ridge.
Cut the corner off to miss out Ill Crag (can always do it on the way back), and then to Broad Crag, before dropping to the saddle to begin the climb to Scafell Pike. This year, there’s again some considerable snow patches across the path. From Scafell Pike I drop down to Mickledore where a walker tells me the others are 20-25 minutes ahead.
Have a stop for lunch (flapjack) so I can catch them coming back, then after 10 minutes think I can then at least have a look at the bottom of the Foxes Tarn route to get some good pictures of the others descending.
Foxes Tarn path. If you look closely you won’t see any Dallam runners. Neither did I. 
Start the climb. No-one to be seen. Perhaps they’re waiting for me at the top of Scafell? Better climb the rest of the way to the summit. No, they’re not waiting. So then descend back to Mickledore and retrace the route to Esk Hause, down the Devil’s Staircase (my term - aka the stone path which gives tired feet such a pounding) to Angle Tarn, and back down Mickleden to the New Dungeon Ghyll.
The others have gone after being back an hour – that missing hour – no idea how I missed them.
Run down to Elterwater where Helen picks me up (in the car, not bodily). No BG food tips today – no-one to ask. Time taken: eight hours; calories burned: 5,396.

No comments:

Post a Comment